Sunday, January 22, 2006

"the ghost of material things" --Gérard de Nerval and the Bad Rhymer


I thought those everyday things
had been long thrown away...
but then I discovered them
on a friend´s webpage today.

A message, like the food,
read and discarded
appears as a trivial memory
a pleasure surface-hearted.

(No, I don't like inside jokes either, so I'll turn this inside-out: I often left messages on food for my housemates in Barcelona. The cookie box reads: "eat me because I'm yummy and I don't want to make Megan fat" and the banana: "thank you for printing.")

5 comments:

Renee said...

VERY GOOD MEGAN. !! GOLD STAR !!

Renee said...

Nice juxtaposition of words and images. Vibrant. Vivid.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Julia said...

Megan,
You just brought a smile to my face with your banana message...I used to write notes on the bananas that I put in my (now deceased) husband's lunch box...a pleasant memory which has brightened my outlook today (Egad!--it's Friday, the 13th!)...I overslept this morning and feel as if I've been run over by a truck because I did a "little too much" Yoga yesterday, therefore, the endorphins released by the recollection of "banana messages from the past" were "sorely" needed!
Thanks for the memories!