Tuesday, March 29, 2005

from the biblioteca

I’m sitting at the library (Biblioteca d’Arxiu Historic). A beautiful library,
on the 5th floor, on my left, through a very tall window, I can see over the crumbling Romanesque monastery, where pigeons have made their little homes within the cracks of the large grey millennia-old stones.
Anyhow, I really dislike the silence in libraries and museums, but today I heard music.
And it got louder.
I hear it nice and clearly now.
While the others continued reading and taking notes, I got up and went to over to look out one of those long library windows that face the Plaza Nova, I could hear the music even better now. And I saw where it was coming from. There below was a 60 person orchestra playing. About the same amount of people had gathered around the orchestra to listen.
The pigeons, who are viewing and listening from above, are flapping around like crazy. I think they´re happy with the music!
It is 70 degrees today, not humid, and clear blue skies with some soft clouds. It is 3:30pm, siesta time, and the streets are calm. This morning the streets smelled like spring, not like a sewage. Now it’s started to lightly rain, it's a spring rain.
It hasn't rained in months!
Back on my left, the pigeons are fighting over who gets into the facade's niches first.
T
he gargoyles guarding the monastery begin to drool.
The orchestra has disappeared. The plaza is deserted.
On days like this I'm grateful to be able to enjoy the bit spontaneity that´s left in this city.