Sunday, November 26, 2023

Toronto

I was in Toronto for 5 days last week and it was a time of lots of learning, so I wanted to write something for my imaginary audience quickly before I forget. I was attending my 1st AAA (Anthropology) conference and it was really eye-opening and inspiring. There were hundreds of innovative panels on hundreds of unconventional topics, every facet of everyday life was being scrutinized through a critical social lens, from coffeeshop communication to cassette tapes, from Japan’s aging problem in the countryside to gamete donors in Spain! Each research presentation was a real presentation written for the audience (vs. reading a paper), so the audience (and I) understood the presentations, which generated very good long conversations after each panel. (The conference organizers put a great deal of emphasis on accessibility, I was grateful.) I think all this is what Cultural Studies wanted to do, but doesn't often do. One thing that surprised me is that folks at the conference who study human culture self-identify and present themselves with a lofty noun: anthropologists. How does one acquire a noun-title based on a discipline, when does it start and when does it end? I am curious about this as I like the sound of saying "I'm a ________." It gives a bit of relief to one's existential crisis! But I've never heard of anyone calling themselves as such until the conference.

Besides that, I got to explore the city of Toronto. Things I liked: 
running into and talking to the owner of the original Kim’s Convenience, 
walking around with my nephew Arveen, 
eating delicious vegetarian Vietnamese food at #SaigonLotus
running into and exploring a very good camera shop #downtowncameratoronto, 
staying at a hostel above a jazz cafe, 
and being able to walk to the train station and take the train to the airport! 
Things I didn’t like: 
US-style macho aggressive driving/car culture. I saw too many cars pressuring pedestrians to hurry across the street. 
Also, the city’s leaders have sold the city to millionaires and speculators. There’s nowhere central or semi-central for middle- and lower-income residents (like the fictional and real owners of convenience stores) to live.