Monday, January 23, 2023

Glorias Fuertes, things and two poems translated

I'm teaching a class about the agency/power of everyday things and objects (of the Spanish-speaking world). We are starting with some poems by Gloria Fuertes and Pablo Neruda. I could not find translations to Fuertes's poems, so I translated them in case anyone in this cyber space is interested: 

 

Things, Our Things [Las cosas, nuestras cosas]

Things, our things,

they like to be loved;

my table likes me to rest my elbows,

the chair likes me to sit in the chair,

the door likes me to open and close it

just as wine likes me to buy it and drink it,

my pencil falls apart if I pick it up and write,

my closet trembles if I open it and peek in,

the sheets are sheets when I lie on them

and the bed complains when I get up.

What will become of things when there are no more people?

Like dogs, things don't exist without their owner.


----------


The Typewriters [Las máquinas]

The dreary office

humanized itself at night

there was a light typing sound.

The typewriters were writing

--to one another--

love letters.