Wednesday, November 30, 2022

Los Espookys


I can really relate to Tati. My favorite line by her is (something along the lines of): 
"I'm in the past, present, and future, that's why I act weird."
Other things I like about Los Espookys
- very clever smashing together of Spanish/English/Spanglish
- unproblematic smashing together of youth and adulthood
- humorous critique of the bourgeoisie, American imperialism, material excess, (white) elitism of both the US and Latin America
- unproblematic gender bender 
- rare pan-US Latinx/Latin American collaboration 
- deadpan/dry/cheesy humor
- esperpento: silly exaggeration of situations reflects real-life stupidity 
- humorous pastiche aesthetics (surrealism, kitsch, B films, 1980s, 1990s, and probably other styles)
- Tati's out-of-place clothing (1990s US teen suburbia) 
- all of this being made accessible to a huge public (HBO Max)!

Thank you Ana Fabrega and Julio Torres!