Wednesday, June 10, 2026

Jorge the Church Janitor Finally Quits - Martin Espada, 1989. Translated to Japanese by J. Chang

(This poem was kindly translated for a lecture I gave at Sophia University on Latin American immigration in the United States.)


No one asks

where I am from,

I must be

from the country of janitors,

I have always mopped this floor.

Honduras, you are a squatter's camp

outside the city

of their understanding.

 

No one can speak

my name,

I host the fiesta

of the bathroom,

stirring the toilet

like a punchbowl.

The Spanish music of my name

is lost

when the guests complain

about toilet paper.

 

What they say

must be true:

I am smart,

but I have a bad attitude.

 

No one knows

that I quit tonight,

maybe the mop

will push on without me,

sniffing along the floor

like a crazy squid

with stringy gray tentacles.

They will call it Jorge.


誰も私に
どこの出身かなんて尋ねない。

きっと私は
「清掃員たちの国」の出身なのだろう。
ずっと昔から
この床を拭いてきたのだから。

ホンジュラスよ、
お前は彼らの理解という街の外れにある
不法占拠の集落だ。

 

誰ひとり
私の名前を正しく呼べない。

私はトイレで
宴を切り盛りする。
便器をかき混ぜる、
まるでパンチボウルみたいに。

私の名前に宿るスペイン語の響きは、
客たちがトイレットペーパーの文句を言ううちに
かき消されてしまう。

 

彼らの言うことは
きっと本当なのだろう。

私は頭がいい。
でも態度が悪い。

 

誰も知らない。

私は今夜で辞めるのだ。

たぶんモップは
私がいなくなっても
そのまま働き続けるだろう。

床を嗅ぎ回りながら、
灰色の細い触手を引きずる
気の狂ったイカみたいに。

そして彼らは
それをホルヘと呼ぶのだ。